A Plastic Ocean and Rockets 4/29/21

This week we watched a documentary on plastic in the ocean. Every day, 13,000 to 15,000 pieces of plastic are dumped into the ocean worldwide. Yearly, 8 million metric tons of plastic enter our oceans, on top of the 150 million that are already there. This film was very informative, it also allowed us to really better understand the problem we have in this world. The information given was very interesting and was very far from boring. We are also learning about microplastics in math, so I am very happy that we get to learn more about these things in class. We just had one of Serby’s friends zoom with us to talk about microplastics and her job.

We also started making rockets, which is super exciting. I was in a group with Alisha and Josie. We worked really well as a team and we finished our rocket pretty fast. I think we were all super chill about it, and we thought about the most efficient ways of doing things. We still need to decorate it, but I think we can do that quickly too because we already have an idea of what we want it to look like. We only have about a month left of school, so I am very excited to see what these next few weeks are going to look like.

Questions:

Is there such thing as luck? Do we make our own decisions to determine our future, or is it just fate?

Does nature or nurture form a person’s personality?

How do we know if our universe is real?